Vegan Chia Seed French Toast
- 2 cups almond milk, or more to taste
- 1½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 inch-thick slices bread
- Stir almond milk and chia seeds together in a wide, shallow bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Stir cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract into the almond milk batter; thin with more almond milk as needed.
- Melt 2 teaspoons coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip each slice of bread in batter for 30 seconds on each side. Scrape chia seeds from the bread with a butter knife, if preferred.
- Fry bread in skillet until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side; repeat with remaining bread, adding coconut oil between batches to skillet as needed.
- (Optional: Treat yourself to a nice Bloody Mary.)
This recipe can easily be made gluten-free by using gluten-free bread.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This chia seed french toast was really good. The bread I chose was rustic and dry so I had to soak it in the batter a little longer than if I had chosen a softer bread. However, I definitely enjoyed this meal and liked the added chia seeds for nutrition.
Ashley Bowman says:
I made this today and it was really good. The tip about scraping the seeds off before cooking was helpful. The kids loved it!