Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Chowder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-ounce) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir onion and salt with the oil and cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Stir red pepper and cumin with the onion and cook to soften the pepper, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir sweet potatoes with the onion mixture and pour the vegetable stock into the pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir the corn, black beans, and coconut milk into the stock; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Garnish soup with cilantro to serve.
Serving this with lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce allows everyone to bring brighter flavors to their bowl and control their spice level.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
I'm not vegan, but I still loved this delicious veggie chowder. It was nice and creamy thanks to the coconut milk. It makes me want to cook with this ingredient more! I also love the hint of cumin in this dish, so yummy.
Caro Hodgin says:
yum! what a tasty, veggie-packed chowder. so creamy and a bit sweet with the coconut milk. might add a little curry paste next time to make this sort of like a curry stew.