Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Chowder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 1½ pounds), peeled and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir onion and salt with the oil and cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Stir red pepper and cumin with the onion and cook to soften the pepper, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir sweet potatoes with the onion mixture and pour the vegetable stock into the pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir the corn, black beans, and coconut milk into the stock; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Garnish soup with cilantro to serve.
Serving this with lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce allows everyone to bring brighter flavors to their bowl and control their spice level.
What others are saying
Sravya Avasarala says:
I love this soup!
Jenny J says:
I added andouille sausage to this soup. So yum! Love the spicy flavor it adds. My husbands added hot sauce on top of the sausage, crazy guy. I just like the sausage added only. And a little lime juice.
Sarah Gray says:
Great with lime juice and hot sauce! I used canned corn and chicken stock instead of vegetable stock. Delicious.
Monica Allen says:
This chowder is so good, it makes you forget that it's vegan. I served it with lime wedges and added extra hot sauce to my bowl.
Laura Griffin says:
I'm not vegan, but I still loved this delicious veggie chowder. It was nice and creamy thanks to the coconut milk. It makes me want to cook with this ingredient more! I also love the hint of cumin in this dish, so yummy.
Caro Hodgin says:
yum! what a tasty, veggie-packed chowder. so creamy and a bit sweet with the coconut milk. might add a little curry paste next time to make this sort of like a curry stew.