Spinach and Quinoa Egg Muffins
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- nonstick cooking spray
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 3 handfuls spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan; add quinoa, reduce heat to lower, and simmer quinoa until thel water is absorbed and quinoa ‘tails’ are uncurled, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare 12 nonstick muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion in butter until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- Mix quinoa, eggs, spinach, ½ cup feta, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl until smooth. Ladle ¾ cup of the quinoa mixture into each prepared muffin cup. Sprinkle remaining feta cheese over the top of each portion.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let muffins cool for 10 minutes in the pan before using a knife to separate edges of muffins from the tin to remove.
These can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week or frozen for up to a few months and be reheated in the microwave or toaster oven. For a distinctly more Mediterranean flavor, try adding ¼ cup each of chopped sundried tomatoes and Kalamata olives to the mixture before baking.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
The muffins were pretty good! I feel a slightly creamier cheese would be best for these, even though the flavor of the feta was fine. These would probably be better with a creamy goat cheese or a provolone which I will definitely try out next.
Katie Hason says:
These egg muffins are really good. I've made them twice already, and the second time I added diced peppers for some added spice. Quinoa is so versatile and I love the way it's used in this recipe.
Jessica Scott says:
I love these egg muffins! Yes, they're convenient and easy, but they're also really great. The spinach and feta cheese together are my favorite.