Fall Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cans pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- 1 large pinch salt
- 3 cups hot vegetable stock
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped toasted almonds, or to taste
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium; sweat the onion and garlic in oil, stirring often, until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, sugar, and salt into the pot; cook until browned and fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour the stock into the pot, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, add the coconut milk, and blend until smooth, thinning the soup with water if needed; season with salt and pepper. Return soup to the pot and simmer for another five minutes. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Garnish with toasted almonds and freshly ground black pepper.
If you prefer to use fresh pumpkin, feel free! Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds, and roast it at 350F° (175°C) until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Scrape pumpkin flesh from peel, and use roasted pumpkin pieces in place of pumpkin puree.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
This recipe is by far one of my favorites. It's so rich and creamy, thanks to the coconut milk. I love the onion and garlic flavors paired with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne spices. The toasted almonds on top gave it the perfect crunch and texture, rounding out this soup nicely.
Katie Hason says:
Couldn't wait to try this vegan pumpkin soup! So yummy and savory. I've been eating it all season. I also garnished with roasted, salted pumpkin seeds!