Chilled Avocado Soup
- 3 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup pepitas
For best results, we recommend using:
- Scoop flesh from avocado into a blender pitcher; add cucumber, green onion, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and salt. Pulse until blended.
- With processor running, slowly stream coconut milk into the mixture; add the lime juice and continue to blend until smooth. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with pepitas and additional cilantro to serve.
Toasting whole cumin seeds and grinding them just before use will yield a much stronger flavor in the soup. Try it out if you have fresh cumin seeds on hand! Alternatively, use two cups of plain yogurt in place of the coconut milk for a little added tang.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I love avocado, so I'm partially biased to this soup, but it's fantastic. The cumin and coconut milk are my favorite flavors, and they work nicely in this dish.
Sam Dalton says:
If you like avocado, you will love this chilled soup. My wife and I love to make this for our day date picnics we go on at the beach.