Vegan Butternut Squash Mac-n-Cheese
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni in boiling water until al dente, 9 to 12 minutes; drain.
- While the pasta boils, put butternut squash, vegan butter, and salt in a large pot with enough water to cover by one inch. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until squash is tender, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Blend squash, soy milk, and lemon juice in a high-speed blender until smooth; add nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne powder, celery salt, turmeric, and paprika and blend an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour blended mixture into a large pot over low heat. Stir drained macaroni with the mixture and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Buy canned or fresh pre-cut and peeled squash to save time. For a thinner sauce, increase soy milk. For thicker sauce, stir an arrowroot or cornstarch slurry into the sauce while heating. Use your favorite milk replacement in this recipe, if soy is not your preferred product.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This butternut mac doesn't actually taste like cheese, but's its still delicious. The second time I made it, I did add shredded cheese and enjoyed it much better that way. If you like butternut squash, then you'll love this dish.
Ashley Bowman says:
I have been looking for a cheese alternative since transitioning to a vegan diet. I made this for my kids and they love it! The nutritional yeast flakes are my new go to. Thanks for introducing me to this ingredient!