Spiralized Root Revelry Salad with Fennel-Herb Vinaigrette
- Fennel-Herb Vinaigrette
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- ½ bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Root Revelry Salad
- 2 large carrots, peeled and spiralized using 2mm blade
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and spiralized using 2mm blade
- 1 large red beet, peeled and spiralized using 2mm blade
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium. Fry fennel, shallot, and garlic in hot oil until softened, aromatic, and lightly browned around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer fennel mixture to a blender along with the parsley and scallions and pulse until the vegetables are chopped small; add the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and fennel seeds and blend on High until smooth. You may need to pause the blending to scrape down the sides of the pitcher to incorporate all the ingredients. With the blender running, gradually drizzle the remaining olive oil into the mixture and blend until emulsified. Blend the salt into the dressing.
- Toss the carrots, parsnips, beets and dried cranberries together in a large bowl. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Add more dressing as desired, but do not overdress. Leftover dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for one week.
If you're not a fan of the licorice flavor of fennel, use celery instead and omit the fennel seeds. Dress the salad immediately before serving, as the beets tend to stain the other vegetables red otherwise. Because the dressing can be stored, make it in advance for an even-quicker salad.
What others are saying
Sarah Gray says:
This salad doesn't need much dressing at all, just a light toss. I prepared it in advance as recommended, great tip. I can't wait to go back to the famers market to get these ingredients and make again.
Sheila Long says:
Made this with more garlic, less lemon, and perfect paired with grilled chicken. The vinaigrette was super tasty too, I love all the herby flavors.
Jen the Mighty says:
I'm currently having a long-term love affair with fennel, and this recipe took it to the next level. I can't wait for spring so that I can make this again with fresh veg from my garden!
Sam Dalton says:
The vinaigrette was really good, I love the way fennel tastes. The spiralized carrots, beets, and parsnips blended nicely together, a little sweet, a little earthy.
Randall Hauk says:
I really enjoyed this. I served it with grilled shrimp. It looked impressive and everyone loved it. The dressing definitely brought everything together. It's a keeper!