Chipotle Burgers with Spiralized Carrot and Cucumber Slaw
- Chipotle Burgers:
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ red onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound (93% lean) ground beef
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- Carrot and Cucumber Slaw:
- 1 large carrot, peeled and spiralized using the 5mm blade
- 1 cucumber, spiralized using the 5mm blade
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix egg, garlic, chipotle, red onion, mustard and salt together in a bowl; add beef and mix with egg mixture using your hands. Shape beef mixture into four patties.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers in skillet for 4 to 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven to cook burgers to desired doneness, about 3 minutes for medium-rare, 5 minutes for well-done. Remove from oven and rest burgers for 5 minutes.
- Toss carrot, cucumber, cilantro, vinegar, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Place burgers onto bottom halves of buns; top each with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, a portion of slaw, and remaining bun halves, respectively. Serve burgers with extra slaw.
Serve the burgers on crusty ciabatta or kaiser rolls instead of hamburger buns to further evoke the bánh mì experience! For a lighter option, skip the buns altogether, and serve the burgers and slaw with bibb lettuce leaves to make beef lettuce wraps.
What others are saying
Stephanie D says:
These burgers were fantastic. The spiralized slaw was really easy to make. My spiralizer saved me so much time from trying to shred the veggies. The only thing I changed was I used 2 chipotle peppers instead of one to make it spicier.
Steve Failows says:
I love a good burger and THIS is a Great burger! I'm a sucker for slaw on a sandwich, usually I have slaw on Chiken sandwiches but it works awesome here with this chipotle burger. Also a perfect excuse to whip out my Mealthy Spiralizer and make quick work of those veggies. Give this one a shot!
Tal Levitas says:
These tasted awesome. I used blue cheese to amp up that umami flavor that I love.
Caro Hodgin says:
I am normally a salt and pepper only kind of burger person - but this recipe caught my eye since i just bought a new spiralizer. Really great flavor... I added cheddar cheese... the slaw is a totally cool new way to use my spiralizer. Will def make again.
Aja A says:
I was craving a burger and since I have been going crazy with my spiralizer lately, I decided to give this one a shot. I took into consideration the previous review and bumped up the amount of chipotle in the meat. This was very interesting and as I kept taking bites, it grew on me. The only thing I will say I would probably do extra would be to add some sort of cheese, but sour cream works giving a layer of creaminess needed in this burger. I will try this again with a mix of beef and ground pork.