Skillet Penne with Chicken Sausage and Broccoli in a Pumpkin Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (3 ounce) fully cooked chicken sausage links, sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¼ teaspoon chili pepper flakes, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high. Sear sausage in hot oil until browned completely, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Pour chicken stock and white wine into the skillet; add garlic. Stir the pumpkin puree into the mixture with a whisk until smooth; bring to a simmer and add the penne pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook pasta at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Stir broccoli florets, half-and-half, pepper flakes, and nutmeg through the pasta mixture; continue to simmer until penne and broccoli are al dente, about 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
Want to make this vegetarian? Substitute tempeh crumbles or some vegetables for the chicken sausage and use vegetable stock. Want to go a step further and make it vegan? Substitute coconut milk for the half-and-half.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
My kids love this pumpkin penne pasta. Instead of chicken sausage we used ground chicken, and it was really delicious. Overall it was really delicious, and the pumpkin flavors weren't too overwhelming. It's one of our favorite weeknight meals.
Jacqulyne de Jardins says:
This was a very delicious autumn dish. We prepared this last week and the leftovers from that was still very good! We never made pumpkin sauce before in a savory dish and this definitely won't be the last.