Apple Yogurt Cake
- 1 tablespoon butter, or as needed
- 4 teaspoons raw sugar, divided
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1½ cups peeled and (½-inch) diced Fuji apple
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch pie plate or cake pan. Sprinkle about half the raw sugar into the bottom and onto the sides of the pan.
- Mix all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl with a whisk.
- Beat eggs in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment at medium-high speed until eggs are pale, fluffy, and tripled in volume, 2 to 3 minutes. Stream sugar into the egg mixture while beating; mix for another 30 seconds.
- Pour olive oil in a slow and steady stream into the egg mixture and continue beating until emulsified into a thick and creamy batter, about 30 seconds; add yogurt and mix until blended before adding the rum and orange blossom and beating for another 10 seconds.
- Switch speed to medium-low and add about half the flour mixture; mix until just incorporated.
- Toss the diced apples with the remaining flour mixture and add to the bowl; mix until just incorporated, about 15 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle raw sugar over the surface of the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick or knife blade inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Move to a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
If you're looking to switch it up, try chopped pears or in-season berries in this cake. Or take it to the next level and sub in ground hazelnuts for the almond meal for an even richer flavor and color.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
This cake was delicious! I love incorporating yogurt, it gave it a nice moist texture and great taste. I don't eat baked goods often, but next time I do, I'll be making this again.
Sam Dalton says:
Delicious apple yogurt cake that's perfectly sweet. Reminds me of an apple pie, but in cake form. My wife especially loves to eat it in the morning with a cup of coffee.