Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup with Grilled Shrimp
- 8 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large shallot, quartered
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 15 leaves fresh basil
- 1½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C)
- Toss tomatoes, shallot, and garlic with half the olive oil in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend the roasted vegetables and any juices in the pan with the basil leaves in a high-speed blender until smooth. Stream 2 tablespoons olive oil into the blender while blending. Alternately, place ingredients in a large bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and grill until opaque, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl; season with salt and and drizzle over cooked shrimp.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top each portion with shrimp and garnish with chopped basil.
When grilling shrimp be sure to watch them carefully. Remove from the heat immediately when they turn opaque to avoid overcooking.
What others are saying
Jennifer Ingram says:
Simple and tasty - good way to use a bounty of tomatoes! I felt it needed time for the flavors to really develop so am leaving it overnight, looking forward to trying it again tomorrow.
Aja A says:
This was a very healthy tomato soup. Tasted fresh and acidic. The addition of the shrimp was a nice touch. Would make this soup again with a grilled cheese or with a touch of cream.
Jessica Scott says:
Amazing! It's puts your mom's tomato soup to shame! It pairs perfectly with a grilled cheese or a thick slice of crusty bread. Definitely going to make this soup again.