Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup with Grilled Shrimp
- 8 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large shallot, quartered
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 15 leaves fresh basil
- 1½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C)
- Toss tomatoes, shallot, and garlic with half the olive oil in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Blend the roasted vegetables and any juices in the pan with the basil leaves in a high-speed blender until smooth. Stream 2 tablespoons olive oil into the blender while blending.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and grill until opaque, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl; season with salt and and drizzle over cooked shrimp.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top each portion with shrimp and garnish with chopped basil.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
Amazing! It's puts your mom's tomato soup to shame! It pairs perfectly with a grilled cheese or a thick slice of crusty bread. Definitely going to make this soup again.
Aja A says:
This was a very healthy tomato soup. Tasted fresh and acidic. The addition of the shrimp was a nice touch. Would make this soup again with a grilled cheese or with a touch of cream.
Jennifer Ingram says:
Simple and tasty - good way to use a bounty of tomatoes! I felt it needed time for the flavors to really develop so am leaving it overnight, looking forward to trying it again tomorrow.