Vegan Gluten-Free Coconut-Banana Bread with Hemp Seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1¼ cup gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup hemp seeds
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Soak chia seeds in water in a large mixing bowl for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175° C) for 20 minutes. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the bananas, gluten-free flour, coconut milk, coconut, hemp seeds, sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, baking powder, and sea salt with the chia seed mixture into a batter; pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let the bread cool completely before slicing to serve.
Do not cut into the bread until fully cooled. It is too soft to hold form otherwise. It is a moist bread with pudding-like pockets of gooey banana when freshly made. The longer it sits the more it solidifies, though it never dries.
What others are saying
Chaz Norwood says:
Banana bread is hit or miss in my book, but this recipe is super healthy so I don’t expect to to taste like cake. I left out the coconut but other than that followed the recipe and really enjoyed it with my coffee.
Greg Jones says:
This coconut banana bread is one of my favorites. I let mine sit for at least one day before slicing. It's the perfect loaf, and fantastic to enjoy alongside a cup of coffee.
Katie Hason says:
Delicious cruelty free bread that was just as easy to make as regular banana bread. I also like that it doesn't use a ton of oil, as the chia seeds and bananas help to bind the bread together. So good!