Chickpea Ceviche in Avocado Boats
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ orange, juiced
- ¼ cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup seeded and diced tomato
- ¼ cup diced pineapple
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 avocados, halved and pits removed
- Stir chickpeas, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, cucumber, red onion, tomato, pineapple, scallion, olive oil, garlic, jalapeno pepper, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Let the mixture marinate for 15 minutes.
- Put each avocado half onto a plate. Spoon the chickpea mixture onto the avocado to serve.
You can also substitute mango for the pineapple, if you prefer it. Additionally, you can scoop the flesh out of the avocado and place in serving bowl instead of using the avocado shell as the vessel. If you'd like to serve as part of a salad, slice the avocados and stir in with the chickpea mixture.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
I'm not sure if I would necessarily call this a ceviche, but items that you may find in a ceviche. That aside, this was still a refreshing dish that I paired with a grilled salmon (served chilled). I picked a nice, ripe avocado and it gave this creaminess throughout that was needed. Would like this again with some tossed chilled medium-large shrimp or bay scallops.
Greg Jones says:
This vegan ceviche was really delicious, all the citrus juices together and the avocado! Loved the texture and flavor too.
Sarah Gray says:
Yummy vegan ceviche! Only ingredient I left out was pineapple, I'm allergic. Served it with homemade tortilla chips.
Jeremy Hughes says:
I served this in a bowl bowl instead of using the avocado shell, and I bought an extra avocado to slice and stir in with the chickpea mixture. Nothing like "ceviche" but good nonetheless, especially for lunch.
Jenny J says:
I used pineapple instead of mango, great suggestion. Not at all like ceviche, but still really good. I also used a whole jalapeno, seeds removed.