Super-Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted almonds
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat oil in a large pot medium heat; cook garlic, carrots, celery, and onion in hot oil, stirring often, until lightly golden, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and a large pinch of salt to the pot; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cover pot with a lid. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a blender; add the coconut milk and blend until smooth. Thin the soup with water if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Alternately, blend tomato mixture in the pot using an immersion blender.
- Return soup to the pot and simmer for five minutes; garnish with toasted almonds and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
For a lighter take, feel free to skip the coconut milk. The soup will not be quite as creamy, but it will be just as tasty!
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
This creamy vegan tomato soup was so delicious! I made some for my husband and he couldn't even taste the difference. We also make extra batches to freeze. So yummy!
Sam Dalton says:
Really good soup and glad it's vegan. The coconut cream gives off great flavor.