Avocado Toast with Arugula and Shallot
- 2 slices coarse white bread, toasted
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard, or to taste
- 1 avocado, flesh removed and smashed
- ½ lemon
- ½ shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh arugula leaves, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil, or as needed
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place toasts on plates and spread mustard on one side of each slice.
- Spread smashed avocado over each slice and squeeze lemon juice over the top.
- Sprinkle shallot slices over avocado and pile arugula over shallots.
- Heat oil and butter together in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Fry eggs in hot skillet until yolk just begins to set, flipping as desired. Lay one egg over each toast. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
For a vegan-friendly version of this dish, feel free to omit the egg and cheese. To make it even healthier, swap in multigrain toast for the white bread.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
The spicy arugula gave this avo toast great flavor. If I'm in a rush, I skip the egg, and it still tastes great.
Greg Jones says:
I loved this avocado toast recipe, especially with a fried egg on top. Arugula is one of my favorite greens, so I added extra, about 1 cup. Great for lunch or a snack!