Greek-Style Braised Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ pound green beans
- ½ pound tomatoes, diced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup water, plus more as needed
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium. Sauté onion in oil until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes; add garlic, green beans, and tomatoes and cook to soften the green beans, about 5 minutes. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add pour water over the vegetables; bring to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender, about 45 minutes. Add water while cooking if the onions and tomatoes begin to stick to the pan. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the beans and tomatoes to serve.
Braising green beans with tomatoes and onions provides a flavorful and tender side dish that works well with a variety of main dishes.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
Really delicious green beans that are easy to make and have a lot of flavor. The onion and tomatoes are delicious in this recipe, this is one of my family's favorite weeknight sides.
Laura Griffin says:
I recently made this recipe, it's such a simple dish with barely any ingredients. I especially love the tomato and garlic flavors together. So easy as a side dish. I serve it with Mediterranean rice and chicken.