Chicken, Chorizo, and Baby Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 ounces pork chorizo, casings removed and sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 ounces baby kale
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat vegetable oil and saute chorizo in a large saucepot over medium heat, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 3 to 4 minutes; remove and set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to saucepot; saute with chorizo and drippings until golden brown, about 5 minutes over medium heat; remove chicken and chorizo and set aside in a bowl.
- Add onion to saucepot and cook until softened on medium heat, about 2 minutes; add garlic with oregano and continue to cook, about 1 minute.
- Return chicken and chorizo to saucepot; stir in chicken broth, tomatoes with tomato juice; bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to a medium-low and simmer, covered, about 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Transfer chicken to a bowl and shred using 2 forks.
- Return shredded chicken to saucepot; add kale and beans. Cook until kale is just wilted and beans are hot, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls, add your favorite hot sauce and garnish with queso fresco or shredded cheddar cheese to serve.
Don't confuse Mexican chorizo with the Spanish version, which is cured with a different mix of spices and stored at room temperature. Mexican chorizo contains raw pork, and needs to be refrigerated. Look for at at your local butcher shop if you can't find it at the supermarket.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I love this soup! It's really hearty with lots of flavor. Instead of white beans I used chickpeas and it worked really well. Perfect for cold days!
Laura Griffin says:
This soup is one of my fall favorites! The chorizo gives it a nice kick. If you're looking for a delicious, hearty, and nutritious comfort food soup, try out this recipe! I love it.