- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup wine or seafood stock
- 1 (14½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron threads
- 12 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 8 ounces mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 8 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 ounces cod fillets or other firm white fish
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add fennel, onion, salt and cook, about 10 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook about 2 minutes; stir wine and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, thyme, saffron; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, about 10 minutes.
- Add clams; cover and simmer gently until clams begin to open, about 5 minutes. Arrange mussels, shrimp and cod in an even layer and push down to submerge in broth. Continue to simmer, covered, until shellfish opens, shrimp turn pink and cod turns opaque, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon cioppino into bowls, garnish with fresh thyme and serve with crusty bread for dipping.
For easy entertaining or to make this a weeknight meal, the cioppino broth can be made a day ahead of time. Seafood stock is available at the fish counter of your local market, or specialty seafood stores. You can also make your own next time you make shellfish—save the shells and boil with vegetables and aromatics!
What others are saying
Aja A says:
This was a delicious one pot wonder. Make sure you have some crusty bread on hand for the broth especially. Used halibut as my white fish and this tasted like a fancy restaurant style dish. I'm very happy with the way this turned out.
Sam Dalton says:
Eating cioppino in my family is like a ritual whenever we all get together! I made this recipe for a group of friends recently and people that have never had mussels before are now obsessed. This a classic recipe that tastes amazing and authentic. Bravo!
Laura Griffin says:
This is one of my favorite seafood stew recipes! If you like Italian food, you will love the incredible flavors in this dish. One of my favorites, great for date night and other special occasions. This also makes generous portions! I can't wait to make this again.