Creamy Corn Soup with Crab and Chili Oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 shallots, rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 sprigs thyme, stripped
- 1 potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups fresh corn off the cob
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, shredded
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup corn kernels
For best results, we recommend using:
- Combine red pepper and olive oil in a ceramic ramekin. Heat for 30 seconds in microwave; set aside to steep.
- Place crabmeat in a medium bowl; add lemon juice and zest. Combine and keep chilled in the refrigerator until serving.
- Using a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until foaming subsides. Add aromatics: chopped onion, shallots, garlic, celery and thyme.
- Once the aromatics are soft and translucent, add 5 cups water. Stir to combine; add chopped potato; simmer until potato is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir fresh corn; cook about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until creamy and smooth, about 5 minutes; season with salt.
- Divide soup into bowls and garnish with crab salad, scallions, and corn kernels.
Make this soup a part of your seasonal weekly lunch and dinner repertoire by making it in batches. Enjoy having it for lunch the next day, whether you’re at home or in the office! The soup also freezes well—make double and freeze half of it, then prepare the crab salad when ready to serve.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
This creamy crab soup is my new favorite! Living by the water, my husband catches live crab to add to this dish. I also love the added potato, which makes this soup hearty as well as nutritious. One of my fall favorites!
Sam Dalton says:
The crab was just what this corn soup needed to take it from from good to great. Definitely use real crab meat, it will make all the difference in the world. This is one of my favorite soup recipes.