Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, deseeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oven to 400ºF (200°C).
- Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until tender when squeezed, 45 to 55 minutes. Let potatoes cool slightly.
- While the potatoes bake, stir the black beans, scallions, jalapeño pepper, and chili powder together in a bowl.
- Cut a slit lengthwise into each potato. Carefully scoop most of the flesh from the potatoes into the bowl with the black bean mixture. Stir the mixture thoroughly and stuff back into the cavity of the potatoes. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the top of each potato.
- Continue baking in oven until the cheese has melted and is beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
You can treat these like traditional baked potatoes and use your favorite toppings, like sour cream, on them, but you can also try some new flavors, such as sliced jalapeno pepper, sliced radish, hot sauce, or diced avocado.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I really loved these twice baked sweet potatoes! I definitely did not feel guilty about adding a cup of shredded cheddar cheese! It was so delicious, and filling. The black beans and jalapeño gave it great flavor, this is definitely my easy weekday go to recipe.
Jessica Scott says:
Loved this Mexican-inspired sweet potato! I don't usually stray from my sweet potato stuffed with chickpeas, but this really good. Also a great way to use some left over ingredients when you're short on time.