Veggie-Packed Baked Meatballs
- oil or nonstick spray
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 ounces spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated onion
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly oil or spray a large baking sheet.
- Mix together the carrot, mushrooms, spinach, onion, Parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, tomato paste, and salt in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Stir in the egg, then, using your hands, mix in the meat. Form into evenly sized meatballs and arrange on the baking sheet so the meatballs are not touching.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and the internal temperature reads 165°F (75°C) on a meat thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Using a food processor with grater attachment makes the prep for this recipe a breeze, but you can use a cheese grater to grate the vegetables in a pinch.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I'm obsessed with these veggie meatballs! They go great with my squash noodles. I highly recommend using a food processor to make it easier to chop all the vegetables.
Greg Jones says:
The meatballs are incredibly easy to make and very delicious. I served them with spaghetti, and loved it. I didn't even notice the vegetables in it, which is a good thing.