- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 water
- 3 cups cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- butter for greasing pans
- Egg Wash:
- egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Whisk eggs with water. Combine dry ingredients and pulse in food processor until mixture looks like crumbs, about 1 minute. Slowly add liquid mixture into processor while it’s running; about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Transfer dough to a large cutting board or surface and knead; about 1 minute. Form into a flat disk and wrap with plastic. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place apples into a large saucepot; add water with sugar. Turn on stove at low heat and cook; about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until apples are softened. Adjust heat to medium, about 2 to 3 minutes to absorb remaining liquid; set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Take dough out of refrigerator. Allow to rest at room temperature; about 30 minutes before use. Generously flour a cutting board or flat surface. Using a rolling pin, start pushing down the middle of dough and roll out and away. Keep repeating until dough is large enough to cover surface of the pie pan. The dough should exceed the surface.
- Wrap dough around rolling pin and transfer into pie pan. Unroll dough and form around edges. Using a fork, poke a few holes in pie crust. Fill with apple compote. Cover with second crust. Using a sharp knife cut out 4 to 5 holes on surface of pie crust. Whisk together egg and water. Brush top layer crust with egg wash.
- Bake pie in oven, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set on a cooling rack to cool.
- Divide pie into 8 equal parts to serve.
You can divide up the recipe steps so it's not so much work all at once. Go ahead and make your Påte Sucré dough ahead of time and freeze it. You can then defrost it a day before using it.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
My friend shared this recipe with me and it was superb! The apple compote was so sweet and delicious. I also really loved the delicious crust. Can't wait to make this again!
Sam Dalton says:
This apple pie was so good! Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The last time I tried to make pie, I ruined the crust. This recipe was perfect though, the crust came out great.
Jessica Scott says:
Perfect apple pie recipe! Slightly labor intensive, but worth it in the end. I am going to make this again for the holidays. The crust was also perfectly flaky.