Orzo Meatball Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped freshly parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, parsley, and freshly ground pepper. Use your hands to mix well and form into 1-inch balls.
- In medium stock pot on medium heat add ghee butter and onion; cook until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and tomato juice, cover, and bring to a boil. Add meatballs and orzo, cover, and simmer until meatballs are no longer pink at the center, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Substitute the ground beef with ground turkey and use whole wheat orzo for a healthier option.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
This was my first time trying orzo, it was a little difficult to find, but found them on the pasta aisle. I really liked this soup, the meatballs were tender and flavorful.
Aja A says:
I don't buy orzo often, but I had a ton of it trying to wonder what to make next. I really enjoyed this soup as I can't pass up an opportunity to make meatballs. Like a red broth version of an Italian wedding soup. Loved the depth of flavor in this one and comforting for this cold weather.