Quick Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained with liquid reserved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stalks, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- fresh chopped basil and croutons, for garnish
For best results, we recommend using:
- Strain plum tomatoes and reserve the juice. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Toss in plum tomatoes, garlic, and basil and cook for 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, and carrots and season with salt and freshly ground pepper, cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and reserved tomato juice; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a blender or with an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Add heavy cream and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Canned tomatoes are packed with intense flavor, making them perfect for use in soups and stews. Choose high quality San Marzano tomatoes for optimum flavor.
What others are saying
Nikki Garrett says:
My family loved it, we added more garlic and seasoned the soup to our taste. Awesome recipe!
Jenny J says:
I paired this with a homemade sourdough loaf and made a scrumptious grilled cheese with muenster, sharp cheddar, and colby jack cheese. This soup is amazing, it's well put together with the carrots and celery additions.
Jeremy Hughes says:
Used San Marzano canned tomatoes like the recipe suggested. Great tasting flavor! I also skipped the heavy cream, didn't think it was needed. Delicious.
Sheila Long says:
Wonder if I can make this in my pressure cooker? I usually steer clear of canned tomatoes, but they actually work best for this recipe. I make these and serve them with the grilled cheese croutons, delicious!
Sam Dalton says:
Delicious soup that pairs perfectly with grilled cheese. This recipe tastes much better than canned soup! I've been missing out all these years, but glad to have found this!
Aja A says:
Great, simple tomato soup for this chilly weather we have been having lately. I 86'd the croutons and made mini grilled cheese squares to add on top of the soup. It reminds me of one of my favorite restaurants that serves the grilled cheese squares on fondue forks for you to dip in the soup.