Hong Kong Sponge Cake
- 6 extra-large eggs, yolks and whites separated, plus 2 more egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Grease and flour a 10” angel food cake pan (built-in cooling legs, if possible) with removable bottom. Line bottom with parchment paper cut to shape; set aside.
- Put egg yolks and all except 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium mixing bowl; whisk to a thick pale yellow consistency. Sift flour and baking powder into yolks, while continuously whisking ingredients until well incorporated.
- Put all egg whites, remaining sugar, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and whisk to a stiff peak. Fold half into egg yolk batter until fully incorporated, then fold in other half. Pour into the cake pan and bake for 15 minutes until fluffed up and light golden brown. Remove from heat and reverse cake pan immediately, bottom facing up to prevent cake from collapsing. Let stand until cool. Flip back and insert a knife inside the edge of the pan, running the blade all the way around to loosen the cake. Do the same to loosen it around the chimney. Lift the cake from bottom of cake pan and transfer to a plate. Use a serrated knife to slice into 8 equal parts and serve.
You can alternatively make small tea size cupcakes out of this batter and serve it up at your next casual gathering, brunch, or luncheon that you’re hosting!
What others are saying
Mai Meyer says:
I am dissapointed. This is the first time I have made sponge cake ever and the recipe never said when to put the vanilla in. My husband was put off by it because it only tasted like eggs and sugar. It would have tasted much better with vanilla. Also, I wish it read to whisk the eggs first. That took 10 minutes by hand.
Sam Dalton says:
This was my first time having sponge cake and it was very moist and rich. We used a hazlenut butter spread and served it with coffee for our guests. Perfect and delicious.
Greg Jones says:
This sponge cake is very light and moist. I enjoyed it topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. Perfect for the holidays or any other occasion.