Jerk Scallops with Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash:
- 2 spaghetti squash, split in half with seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- Jerk Scallops:
- 1 pound large scallops
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Brush oil and season each half on the flesh side of the spaghetti squash with 1/2 teaspoon of salt salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Place two squash halves flesh side facing down in a glass roasting pan, and place other two halves in a separate glass roasting pan.
- Bake spaghetti squash in the oven, about 40 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and use a fork to rake squash flesh from skin peel to gather spaghetti-like strands. If flesh is difficult to rake or feels hard, place squash back in oven, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with jerk scallops and cooking liquid in spaghetti squash, using it as a bowl, or serve on a plate over spaghetti squash noodles.
- Jerk Scallops
- Prepare scallops 10 minutes before spaghetti squash is finished cooking.
- Melt butter and oil over medium-high heat In a large skillet.
- Add scallops to skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until light golden brown.
- Add cooking wine with seasonings and continue sautéing, about 2 minutes, flipping scallops on both sides to saturate with wine and seasoning mixture.
- Remove from skillet and serve immediately with cooking liquid over spaghetti squash.
Top with green onions for garnish and add sriracha for an extra hint of heat in this dish.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
The jerk scallops alone were incredible! The flavor was spot on, everything I expected it to be and more. I also liked the healthy spaghetti squash as opposed to using pasta. Definitely one of my favorite lighter dishes.
Sam Dalton says:
These jerk scallops are amazing. The jerk seasoning alone is very flavorful. I also want to try using it on shrimp. The spaghetti squash was a nice switch from starchy spaghetti noodles. My wife and I love this recipe.