Moroccan Lentil and Cauliflower Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat and cook onions with carrots, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes with their juice, and lentils; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 30 to 35 minutes. Add cauliflower; cook while stirring occasionally, until lentils and cauliflower are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir spinach and cook until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir lemon juice before serving. Garnish with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt if desired.
Cauliflower florets will fall apart naturally into smaller pieces as they simmer in the stew. This recipe makes a lot of stew, and freezes well. Freeze in small containers for easy access when you need a quick meal. Make this stew a day ahead if you can, it gets better with time as the complex seasonings have time to develop their flavor.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This cauliflower stew is bursting with bold flavors and spices. It's incredibly hearty and filling. I still haven't gotten my kids on board with it yet, but my husband and I love it.
Greg Jones says:
I love lentils and cauliflower, so together in one simple stew is really delicious. This recipe has very authentic flavors like cumin and coriander. The turmeric gives it a great color as well. Very hearty and delicious vegetarian dish.