Savory Steak with Balsamic Mushrooms over Garlic Ciabatta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 slices garlic ciabatta, 3/4-inch thick
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 pound skirt or sirloin steak, sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Brush both sides of ciabatta slices lightly with 1 tablespoon olive oil; lightly toast slices in oven or toaster oven until golden.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onion and season with salt; cook stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add balsamic vinegar; cook stirring frequently, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Stir in thyme; remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Heat same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steak in 2 batches, stirring frequently, until browned outside and desired doneness inside.
- Arrange steak over toasted ciabatta and top with mushroom mixture; garnish with additional thyme if desired and serve.
If you can't find garlic ciabatta, any ciabatta or crusty bread will do. Just brush the slices with a little olive oil and and rub with cut garlic or sprinkle with garlic powder. This recipe can also make a great party appetizer. Just slice the steak into small, than strips and served over toasted baguette slices.
What others are saying
Monica Allen says:
I made this as an appetizer for some friends that came over, using the tip to cut the steak into small, thin strips and served over toasted baguette slices. It was so delicious, everyone thought I had it catered. I had to show them this recipe online just so they'd believe me that I cooked it myself!
Santana Williams says:
I made this steak in my cast iron skillet and served it with a side salad instead of bread. I added the mushroom mixture back to the pan with the steak at the end, just to heat it through. So good.
Jordan Clark says:
I made this for my husband's promotion dinner and he loved it. It was really easy to make, and super quick. I bought plain ciabatta but added garlic with the onion, mushroom, and balsamic reduction. Very nice dinner and perfect for special occasions.
Laura Griffin says:
This is the perfect steak dinner! The balsamic vinegar and thyme adds exceptions flavor! The meat is tender and when cooked just right, is pink in the middle. Love it!
Jacqulyne de Jardins says:
Made this for dinner and my boyfriend and I really enjoyed this! The steak was cooked just right and I liked the open-faced concept so I wasn't consuming too much bread. I will be making the steak and sauce more often without the ciabatta since I prefer more gluten-free options.