Salted Cod and Potato Brandade
- 12 ounces salt cod bacalao
- 1 pound russet potatoes (about 2 medium), scrubbed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- kosher salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs, or more as needed
- Soak cod in water for 24 hours, refrigerated, changing the water 3 to 4 times; drain.
- Place potatoes in a pot of boiling water over high heat. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes; drain and cool. Peel potatoes; transfer to a large bowl and mash with milk and olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place cod in a small pot with bay leaf and garlic; cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the fish flakes, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the garlic. Break up the fish and mash the garlic mixing them together; fold into mashed potatoes. Add thyme and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper to taste. Stir to mix ingredients thoroughly and transfer to a well oiled 7 ½ inches x 6 inches deep baking dish, or divide into smaller gratin dishes. Dust with bread crumbs and bake until golden, about 15 to 30 minutes depending on the baking dish used.
- Optional: Treat yourself and pair with a lovely Bloody Mary!
Rehydrated fish is a great seasonal item to enjoy during the Winter months and during the feast of the holiday season! Once you give it a try it is sure to become a new family tradition!
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I'm obsessed with this recipe! It's so delicious. I also added a little melty cheese on top, and it was incredible. This is perfect for those busy weeknights when you want something quick and simple, but extra tasty.
Greg Jones says:
This salt cod was amazing, and together with the mashed potatoes made for a very flavorful and hearty dish. If you haven't ever tried salt cod before, this dish will make you fall in love with it.