- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup fine graham cracker crumbs
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- ¼ cup coarse graham cracker crumbs
- Marshmallow Frosting:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a separate bowl using a hand mixer. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape the bottom sides of the bowl and add the vanilla extract. Add ½ of the dry ingredients and mix on low until incorporated. Slowly stream in the buttermilk on low speed, until remaining mix dries. Portion into cupcake molds, filling just over ½ way. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler; remove from heat; whisk in powdered sugar. Stir in butter and continue to stir until all the butter has melted. If the ganache becomes too hard, place over the heat again for a minute or two. Spread a thin layer of ganache over cupcakes and sprinkle coarse graham cracker crumbs over them.
- Heat the egg whites and sugar over a double boiler until all of the sugar has melted and the egg whites are warm to the touch. Remove from the heat; add cream of tartar. Beat on high until stiff glossy meringue has formed and bowl is cool to the touch. Mix the salt and vanilla extract and transfer to a piping bag. Pipe a large dollop onto each cupcake. If you have access to a blowtorch, carefully torch the meringues to add a toasted flavor.
Gluten free? Substitute the all purpose flour with a whole grain gluten-free grain such as quinoa or spelt flour.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
I made these S'Mores cupcakes for my family and now they're all obsessed. The marshmallow meringue is for sure my favorite because it's so simple. Even though I don't have a blow torch, it still came out perfect. I am definitely making these again!
Greg Jones says:
Delicious cupcakes and easy recipe that's a lot less intimidating than it looks. Love the graham cracker crumbs on the ganache. Very, very good.