Roast Chicken with Za'atar Rosemary Potatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 6 sprigs thyme, stripped and minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary, stripped and minced
- zest of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 1/2 pound organic chicken
- 1 pound baby fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a small bowl combine softened butter, garlic, herbs and lemon juice and zest; season with salt and pepper.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel; set chicken in an ovenproof baking dish. Rub butter mix all over the chicken; place in oven; roast for about 45 to 60 minutes, until a thermometer reads 160°F.
- Combine the cut potatoes and olive oil in a large bowl; sprinkle with salt and Za'atar. Put potatoes in the oven and bake while chicken is roasting, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes; carve into pieces; garnish with herbs and serve.
Save time by preparing the chicken ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to be cooked, right before dinner. Za'atar can be found at fine grocery stores or specialty ethnic markets. You won't regret adding this flavorful blend to your spice rack!
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
This was really good, especially the potatoes. We are going to make this recipe again for Christmas!
Laura Griffin says:
Very good roast chicken recipe! Love the garlic, thyme and rosemary for flavor. Also, this was my first time using Za'atar. Loved it! I enjoyed this dish thoroughly.