Squash Blossom Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 chicken thighs and/or legs
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 white onion, minced and divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup queso fresco
- 1 tomato, halved, seeded and diced
- 1 cup squash blossoms, halved, pistols removed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; melt half the butter in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Sear chicken pieces until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Pour chicken stock into the pot; add the bay leaf. Bring stock to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until a probe thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reads 165°F (75°C), about 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; season broth to taste with salt and pepper, remove from heat, and cover with a lid to keep warm.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, strip meat from bones and shred with your fingers; discard skin and bones.
- Melt remaining butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook half the onion, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes; add garlic, zucchini and continue cooking until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir diced poblano chiles. Transfer the mixture to the broth, and set on medium-low heat.
- In each serving bowl, place rice, chicken, tomato, and cheese. Divide squash blossoms among the bowls, and ladle hot soup over mixture. Toss cilantro with remaining minced onion; garnish soup with squash blossoms before serving.
Vegetarian? You can use a roasted vegetable stock and omit the chicken for a flavorful meatless version. Squash blossoms are very delicate and should be used within a day of purchase. Refrigerate any remaining broth and vegetables in separate sealed containers, up to 2 days. Assemble as above before serving.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
This was a light and delicious soup. I love trying new recipes and was pleasantly surprised by this dish!
Greg Jones says:
We were given squash blossoms from a friend, so looked up this recipe to try. The soup was really delicious. It reminded me of a Mexican soup, but without all the heavy calories. We definitely enjoyed it.