Quinoa, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup tricolor quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, (about 12 oz.) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded vegan cheese or queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 medium red bell peppers halved lengthwise and seeded
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine quinoa, salt and 2 cups water in medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in jalapeno peppers and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally until tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. Stir in beans, corn, cheese, cilantro and lime juice.
- Arrange pepper halves in 3-quart baking dish. Evenly fill peppers with quinoa mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for about 25 minutes or until hot and peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle peppers with cilantro to serve.
Always in a rush at mealtime? You can assemble this dish ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. That way, this becomes a super simple meal that is on the table in under 30 minutes.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
First time making stuffed bell peppers and they came out great. This is a fun and easy to way to enjoy good, healthy food. My wife also loved them and was impressed with how they turned out, she would have never eaten a whole bell pepper before! These were also simple to make.
Jessica Scott says:
These stuffed peppers were delicious! I usually make them with rice, so it was nice to try it with quinoa instead. Nice fall recipe and they were perfect with the pepper jack-o-lanterns I carved for Halloween.
Stacy Johnson says:
These were so yummy!! I ended up with twice the amount of filling than what I needed, but I can’t be mad about it when it’s this delicious!! I got tons of compliments at work and even had someone ask for the recipe and download Mealthy! Score!!