Meal Prep: Pressure Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups white or brown rice
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker on Sauté function. Sear chicken in oil until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Cook the onions in the hot oil until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the garlic, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper with the onion and cook for another 30 seconds; add the tomatoes, chicken broth, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil then pres Cancel.
- Return the chicken to the pot and submerge completely in the braising liquid.
- Seal cooker and cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes. Use the quick-release valve to relieve pressure.
- Remove chicken thighs to a large bowl.
- Cook the braising liquid on Sauté until reduced by about one-third, 10 to 15 minutes; transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Shred the chicken by pulling it apart with two forks. Stir about ⅓ cup of the blended liquid into the chicken.
- Divide the rice, chicken, black beans, corn, red bell peppers, cheddar cheese, sliced red onion, and cilantro between four sealable plastic storage containers; refrigerate until cool and seal.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
These chicken burrito bowls are so good! Definitely one of my favorite meal prep dinners I don't mind eating over and over again.
Tal Levitas says:
I liked this a lot. Ate it for 3 days in a row and it was still good. Yum.
Tarragon Boi says:
The shredded chicken was really good! I used it in a burrito bowl for work, but used the rest of it for taco night.
Aja A says:
Made this for lunch prep this week and it's really quite delicious and easy to make. I used chicken breast instead of thighs with brown rice. I also crumbled some tri-color tortilla strips for added crunch when I am ready to heat this up for lunch.