Vegan Creamy Spiralized Zoodle Casserole
- 2 pounds zucchini, spiralized using the flat ribbon blade
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- ⅓ cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup olive (or avocado) oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Toss zucchini with ½ teaspoon salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain excess water, gently pressing zucchini to remove as much liquid as possible. Gently blot with a clean kitchen towel to further dry.
- Toss zucchini, onion, and garlic together in a large bowl; spread into the prepared baking dish.
- Blend the white beans, vegetable stock, olive oil, tahini, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, the remaining salt, and pepper in a blender until completely smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to incorporate everything; pour over the vegetables in the baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula. Tap the dish on the counter several times to get the batter between the zucchini noodles. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown on top, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
If you have a favorite vegan sour cream replacement, top portions with just a dollop to increase the creaminess.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
My wife and I do vegan recipes once or twice a week, and we tried out this vegan casserole for the first time the other day. Both of us were impressed, you couldn't tell the creamy didn't contain actual dairy. The white bean and tahini are great substitutions. The spiralized zucchini inside was a nice touch.
Laura Griffin says:
This vegan zoodle kugel casserole was really good and fairly easy to make. I plan to make it again for the holidays for a few of my guests that don't eat meat or dairy.