Peach Buttermilk Scones
- 1 peach, diced small
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup buttermilk, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, or as needed
- Spread diced peach onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in a flat layer; place in freezer.
- Mix all-purpose flour, spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, thyme, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer; add butter and mix on Low until butter pieces are lentil-sized (do this by hand if you have no stand mixer).
- Stream buttermilk into the flour mixture until integrated in a mass that is just coming together.
- Remove the peaches from the freezer and add to the mixture while mixing on medium speed for just two turns.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and pat into a 6½-inch square. Cut the square into quarters. half vertically and horizontally to create 4 smaller squares. Halve each square into two triangles and transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place baking sheet in freezer to chill scones while oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Once oven has reached temperature, remove sheet from the freezer and brush buttermilk onto the scones. Sprinkle turbinado sugar liberally onto the scones.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
If you can't find ripe peaches, use 1 cup of chopped frozen peaches instead. You can also try this recipe with other stone fruits or berries. It would be equally delicious with apricots, nectarines, blackberries or a mix of strawberries and pitted cherries.
What others are saying
Val Allen says:
Most of the vegetarian recipes do not need the to cook in the pot with most of the recipes. Do you have more for vegetarian?
Katie Hason says:
This buttermilk scones are to die for and they're also so easy to make! They're little bite size scones of heaven!
Laura Griffin says:
These scones were really easy to make and delicious. I'm not the best baker, but this turned out exactly the way I wanted. I will probably make them again for the holidays.