Super Creamy Tomato and Ricotta Pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 7 ounces spaghetti
- ⅓ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves, or to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium. Sauté garlic in oil until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes; add tomatoes, basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, and sugar and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tomato is fragrant and fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
- While tomato sauce simmers, bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Cook spaghetti at a boil until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain
- Remove skillet from heat and stir ricotta cheese with the tomatoes to melt into a smooth sauce; add pasta and toss to coat. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and basil to serve.
Use your favorite type of pasta. The sauce is the star here and will work with whatever you prefer.
What others are saying
Jacqulyne de Jardins says:
This has to be one of my favorite pasta dishes on the site so far. It's just your basic spaghetti recipe, but with the addition of creamy ricotta. I left out the ricotta and served my vegan friend first before adding it in for myself. Definitely a winner on both sides.
Dom Clement says:
This was all kinds of yum! Added some leftover meatballs and this was a hit!
Monica Allen says:
I cut some corners and used store bought tomato sauce. Love this recipe, the ricotta cheese and tomato sauce mixture is fantastic. Next time I may stir in some spinach. Yummm.
Sheila Long says:
I used orecchiette pasta, my favorite! It sopped up the creamy sauce perfectly. I don't eat pasta often, but this is definitely one of my top three favorites.
Jeremy Hughes says:
I've tried a few dishes lately with ricotta cheese in the sauce. Definitely feel like I've been missing out all this time! I used spaghetti pasta and added chicken, and it was so good. I can't say enough good things about how delicious the sauce was.