Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, or as needed
- 1 onion, minced
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, drained and mashed
- ½ cup panko-style bread crumbs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet or pan over medium-high. Sauté onion in onion until fully browned and caramelized, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Mix caramelized onion, black beans, bread crumbs, flour, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, and chipotle powder together in a bowl to combine; season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into six patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook patties in hot oil until browned and hot in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Make these ahead of time and keep refrigerated for up to three days. They freeze great, too!
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
This black bean burger is so good, even meat eaters will love it. This burger was seasoned well and it held together nicely. If you are new to veggie burgers, this is a great place to start!
Jessica Scott says:
These black bean burgers were really good. I usually make mine with black beans and rice. Glad to use breadcrumbs instead of rice. Overall, delicious and easy to make.