Zoodle Spaghetti and Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 (1-inch thick) slice Italian bread, crust removed
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, roughly chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tub ciliegine mozzarella
- For the marinara sauce-
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine beef, pork, garlic, Parmesan cheese, parsley, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place bread in a small bowl and cover with milk. Let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the milk.
- Crumble the soaked bread into meat mixture; shape into meatballs about 2-inches round; stuffed with mozzarella.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, salt, and pepper, to taste. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully add meatballs to pot and cook uncovered until meatballs are fully cooked through, 5 to 10 additional minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta or zoodles.
Use summer squash instead if you have it on hand!
What others are saying
McKenzie C says:
I tried to make stuffed meatballs before with mozzarella string cheese and it didn't work. This version using ciliegine mozzarella worked great. The cheese was so creamy and rich. The only thing I changed with this recipe was using beef only, no pork. So yummy.
Leah M says:
I made this but with regular spaghetti, and it was amazing! The stuffed meatballs were really easy to make. Also, I didn't have any whole milk so I used 2% with no problems.
Sam Dalton says:
These mozzarella stuffed meatballs are delicious. The beef and pork together was a great choice, everything is seasoned well, and made to perfection. Definitely my new go-to meatball recipe.
Jessica Scott says:
Melty mozzarella stuffed in a flavorful meatball! I am drooling all over this recipe. I made the meatballs as a party appetizer and skipped the zucchini noodles. The marinara sauce was perfect for dipping. I can't wait to make these again!
Tal Levitas says:
These were awesome. If you don't have a meatball recipe that you love. Adopt this one. If you do have a meatball recipe that you love, adopt this one. Just a perfect meatball recipe.