Barbeque Chicken Sweet Potato Nachos
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (13 ounce) bag sweet potato chips
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup finely chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Unless using a cast iron skillet, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Warm olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and cook until almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to taste. If the pan looks dry, add a few splashes of water. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Arrange half sweet potato chips evenly over the baking sheet and top with half of the cheese, chicken and BBQ sauce, red onion, cilantro and tomato. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Bake until cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with avocado and jalapeño, and serve immediately.
If you want to make a vegetarian version of these nachos, use black beans instead of chicken. Feel free to pile on any other toppings. Some of our favorites include pickled jalapeños, sour cream, sliced scallions, chopped tomatoes, and shredded lettuce.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
Really good! Sweet potato chips will now be a staple for me when I make nachos. I still love regular tortilla chips, but this gives off a nice sweetness that I didn't think would work here.
Caro Hodgin says:
i used tortilla chips because they were all i had. so freaking delicious. will definitely make this bbq chicken again. i used maple syrup instead of sugar to make it paleo.
Tal Levitas says:
This is a healthier take on Nachos that uses sweet potato chips instead of nacho chips. It packs a real punch and is a flavor bomb. A bite containing chicken will explode in your mouth with flavory goodness. I can't recommend this recipe more. Just make it. Eat it. Then make it again. It tastes so good.
Sam Dalton says:
This recipe is incredible. Nachos are a big deal in my house, and this dish is definitely A-rated, 5 star, dad approved. Never would have thought to use sweet potato chips! It was amazing.
Leah M says:
I was a bit skeptical at first, but these were really delicious. Next time I will probably make my own sweet potato chips with my spiralizer.