Breakfast Avocado Toast with Chicken Sausage and Poached Egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 chicken sausage link, sliced lengthwise into 4 planks
- 1 cup spinach
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ avocado
- 1 (½-inch thick) slice rustic bread, toasted
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Pour enough water into a saucepan to reach three inches deep; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and add vinegar.
- Crack the egg into a cup. Gently tip the cup into the water to gently slide the egg into the water.
- Cook egg until white is firm, but yolk remains runny, about 4 minutes. Carefully remove egg with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Warm olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage planks until golden brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the sausages and move to one side of the skillet. Add spinach to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook until just wilted, 20 to 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the avocado. Mash avocado flesh in its skin with a small fork.
- Scoop mashed avocado onto the bread and spread evenly. Top with sausage and wilted spinach. Sprinkle lemon juice over the toppings.
- Gently lay the egg onto the spinach; season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes to serve.
This recipe is endlessly adaptable. Don't have spinach? Swap in Swiss chard or kale. Don't have time to poach an egg? Top the toast with a fried egg instead. Not a fan of chicken sausage? Substitute any sausage you like. Or go for bacon.
What others are saying
Caro Hodgin says:
I freakin' love avocado toast. 4 stars bc it was sooo messy to eat, so I had to use a fork and knife. But OMG the flavors!! I cooked the sausage and spinach in the same pan like the recipe says and this was so easy.
Laura Griffin says:
The possibilites are really endless when it comes to avocado toast, and this one is a winner. I sometimes struggle with poaching eggs, so I used a fried egg instead. The red pepper flakes gave it the right amount of heat! This is my new favorite weekend brunch meal!
Greg Jones says:
This is a breakfast for champs. Also my first time making a poached egg. Perfect for a post morning workout. The sausage link was what won me over for sure!
Stephanie D says:
The chicken apple sausages work great in this recipe. I did scrambled eggs for my toast, love it.
Alexis Pearson says:
Definitely have to use rustic bread with this because regular sandwich bread is not sturdy enough, trust me I tried! Love the concept, idea, it was tasty. Next time though I will have to do as the recipe says and use rustic bread.