Dinner Avocado Toast with Chimichurri Steak
- 4 ounces flank steak
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 to 6 thin asparagus stalks, woody ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- ½ avocado
- 1 (½ inch thick) slice rustic-style bread, toasted
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- Season flank steak with salt and pepper.
- Warm olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook flank steak in hot oil until a golden brown crust forms on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn steak and cook for 1 minute before adding asparagus. Cook until asparagus are bright green and steak is medium-rare, about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and slice very thinly against the grain on a bias.
- Stir parsley, garlic, shallot, red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes onto avocado. Mash avocado flesh in its skin with a small fork. Scoop avocado onto bread and spread evenly.
- Arrange asparagus and 3 to 4 steak slices onto the avocado. Spoon the parsley mixture over the steak; top with crumbled feta to serve.
This is a great way to use leftover steak, if you ever have any. Just slice it thin and keep it cold. It will be delicious. Any leftover chimichurri sauce will keep well in the fridge for up to a week. Serve it over grilled fish or chicken, or even scrambled eggs!
What others are saying
Alexis Pearson says:
I've never had avocado toast for dinner, but I did make this for a weekend lunch and it was tasty. I actually just used the asparagus tips (my favorite part), instead of the entire stalk. I also did a blue cheese crumble topping instead of feta. Delicious!
Janet Gainsley says:
Chimichuri on steak is my go-to but I never thought to put it over avocado toast. Killer combination.
Katie Hason says:
This avocado toast with Chimichurri steak is a real meal! I had this for lunch the other day and was thoroughly impressed. Everyone was surprised when I told them I made it at home. So good!
Greg Jones says:
Flank steak on avocado toast?! Crazy good. I had flank steak in the fridge and sliced it up to put on top. Really flavorful and hearty, and a good way to use leftovers. Also my first time having chimichurri. Impressive!
ThisDude LovesFood says:
What great delicious dish. I'm a huge fan of Chimichurri Steak and topping that on avocado toast is match made in heaven. Then again I would substitute asparagus stalks for something else in the future. Overall I happy with this dish.