Watermelon, Tomato, and Mozzarella Cheese on Greens with a Balsamic Reduction
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 2 cups quartered yellow grape tomatoes
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 6 cups mixed greens
- Combine balsamic vinegar, honey, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced by half and thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- Mix watermelon, tomato, and shallot together in a large bowl; add basil and stir. Season the salad with salt.
- Arrange greens onto plates and top with sliced mozzarella. Spoon watermelon mixture onto the salad bed. Drizzle balsamic reduction over the salad.
What others are saying
Steven Gomes says:
Left out watermelon and served tomato and mozzarella cheese on a bed of arugula. The balsamic reduction is my favorite. Especially with the honey. Great for entertaining in the summer.
Jeremy Hughes says:
Made this dish for a beach picnic I took my wife on. It was really fresh and delicious. I also paired it with boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast to tie it all together. Very good..
Sheila Long says:
Perfect recipe for hosting! I skipped the greens and just served the watermelon, tomato, and mozzarella cheese with flatbread on the side.
Sam Dalton says:
Watermelon and greens may seem like an unlikely pair, but it actually tastes really good together. The balsamic reduction was really easy to prepare, and was a little sweet thanks to the honey. Overall I really enjoyed this salad.
Katie Hason says:
So many flavors in this dish, very delicious! The balsamic reduction was absolutely my favorite part. Even though this is considered a summer salad, I enjoy it when the weather cools down too.