Watermelon, Tomato, and Mozzarella Cheese on Greens with a Balsamic Reduction
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 2 cups quartered yellow grape tomatoes
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 cups mixed greens
- Combine balsamic vinegar, honey, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced by half and thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- Mix watermelon, tomato, and shallot together in a large bowl; add basil and stir. Season the salad with salt.
- Arrange greens onto plates and top with sliced mozzarella cheese. Spoon watermelon mixture onto the salad bed. Drizzle balsamic reduction over the salad.
Feta cheese or goat cheese are also great substitutions for the mozzarella cheese.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
So many flavors in this dish, very delicious! The balsamic reduction was absolutely my favorite part. Even though this is considered a summer salad, I enjoy it when the weather cools down too.
Sam Dalton says:
Watermelon and greens may seem like an unlikely pair, but it actually tastes really good together. The balsamic reduction was really easy to prepare, and was a little sweet thanks to the honey. Overall I really enjoyed this salad.
Sheila Long says:
Perfect recipe for hosting! I skipped the greens and just served the watermelon, tomato, and mozzarella cheese with flatbread on the side.
Jeremy Hughes says:
Made this dish for a beach picnic I took my wife on. It was really fresh and delicious. I also paired it with boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast to tie it all together. Very good..
Steven Gomes says:
Left out watermelon and served tomato and mozzarella cheese on a bed of arugula. The balsamic reduction is my favorite. Especially with the honey. Great for entertaining in the summer.