Pressure Cooker Shredded Chicken and Rice
- 3 skinless chicken thighs
- 3 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1¾ cups chicken broth, divided
- 1½ cups rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- Season chicken with salt, ground red pepper, onion powder, ground white pepper, chili powder, and paprika.
- Melt coconut oil in a pressure cooker on the Sauté setting. Cook and stir carrots and celery in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes; remove vegetables with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Working in batches, sear chicken in oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Pour 1/4 cup chicken stock into the cooker to deglaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom; add shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Return carrots and celery to pressure cooker; add remaining chicken stock and rinsed rice. Spoon chicken over the rice mixture.
- Press Cancel on pressure cooker. Seal lid on pressure cooker and cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Relieve pressure naturally and remove lid. Plate chicken pieces with rice to serve.
This recipe calls for white pepper rather than the black pepper that is used more frequently in dishes. They come from the same fruit, but with white pepper, the dark outer skin is removed by soaking before the seed is dried. The result is that white pepper is a bit spicier and fruitier than black pepper. It has an earthy flavor that is slightly smoky.
For more great Chicken recipes, you might like:
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
Very good chicken and rice recipe! I could smell the aroma before it finished cooking, so delicious. The rice was very flavorful and the perfect texture. I will definitely make this again.
Laura Griffin says:
This recipe reminds me of the chicken and rice my mom made for us as kids. So good! I love how tender the chicken is, it literally falls off the bone. I used boneless thighs, and I'm sure it's equally as good with chicken breasts. This is definitely my new go-to chicken and rice recipe.
Greg Jones says:
This is now my go to chicken and rice recipe! Such a quick and easy weeknight meal that my wife and kids love! The seasonings have a Cajun-like flavor but it's not spicy. I shredded the chicken and mixed it in with the rice. Perfection!
Hector Jonass says:
Comfort food at its best! Great balance of spices in the rice and on the chicken. Love cooking the rice with the chicken, too. Never underrate a recipe that allows you such an easy post-dinner cleanup. Will get heavy use on nights we have baseball practice! Oh, you probably could use either all thighs or breasts, but I found that the mixture gave a nice level of fattiness/moisture to the dish. Tinker as you will!
Maureen Dougherty says:
My family really liked this. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I didn't have shallots so I used onions and substituted 1/4 cup wine and 1 cup water for the chicken stock. Turned out perfectly.
Andrea Corbett says:
Absolutely delicious! My hubby and I loved it! Just enough spice without it overwhelming the dish. Chicken was so tender and rice was perfectly cooked. Wish I could give the recipe 10 stars!
Susan Davis says:
Just made this and used thighs and breast tenderloins. I didn’t have shallots but did have garlic and everything came out great. Delicious and will definitely make it again!
Dana Britt says:
Very tasty dish! My family loved it! I made it using all chicken thighs and no shallots because it was all I had.
Autumn Portka says:
Aaaaamazing!!! Def will be a recipe I will make often. I used a whole chicken that was pre cut up about 5.5lbs worth. I followed all other ingredients and directions and it was perfect. I used jasmine rice and it came out so flavorful.
Logan Jahnke says:
So delicious! The chicken was perfect and juicy. The rice and veggies were perfectly seasoned!
Stacee E. Williams says:
This recipe came out really good .. my boyfriend and I were very pleased w/ the results. It was quick and easy .. will be our go to for a quick weeknight meal .. I will make a side salad to go w/ it next time.