Savory Oatmeal with Broccolini and Fried Egg
- 2¼ cups water
- pinch salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon dried red chile flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Bring water and a pinch of salt to a rolling boil in a pot. Season with pinch of salt. Add oats; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until oats are softened and water is mostly absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add broccolini, chile flakes, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broccolini is vibrant green with brown edges, about 5 minutes. Toss with lemon juice. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the same skillet with a paper towel. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Fry eggs in hot oil until edges begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Season eggs with salt and black pepper. Partially cover skillet with a lid; continue cooking until whites are set; about 2 minutes more.
- Stir cooked oats, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil together in a bowl. Top with egg, broccolini, and green onion. Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, if desired.
You can use instant oats for a faster meal or steel-cut oats, which have more health benefits but come with a longer cooking time, instead of rolled oats that fall somewhere in the middle of this health spectrum.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
Broccolini and oatmeal is a weird combination, but for some reason it just works. The fried egg is a must, it really ties this dish together. I also loved the chili flakes and lemon for a zesty, spicy flavor. Very good!
Sam Dalton says:
When I first saw savory oatmeal, I was skeptical! However, tried it the other afternoon and loved it. We buy so much oatmeal, it's nice to switch it up and use it in other meals. The broccolini was also perfect, so good. One of my favorite vegetables.
DC Cote says:
Perfect with a fried egg with runny yolk in the middle. I didn't have broccolini but made this with garlicky spinach and it was really good.
Santana Williams says:
Couldn't find broccolini, so I used regular broccoli instead. I didn't love the oatmeal, next time I will probably use brown rice.
Rachel Douglas says:
First time trying savory oatmeal and I love it! Is it a stretch to say that it's like comfort food? I followed the recipe pretty closely, but I didn't use red pepper flakes and I added garlic. Delicious!