Zombie Deviled Eggs
- 6 large eggs, preferably at least one week old
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 small avocado
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Place the eggs in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover by about 1 inch; bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover pot, and remove from heat. Steep eggs for 10 minutes; drain and plunge eggs into an ice bath to stop further cooking.
- While the eggs cool, put blueberries into the saucepan with 3 cups water; bring to a simmer over medium-low and cook until berries begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat to cool.
- Roll cooled eggs on a cutting board, pressing gently to crack the shells.
- Place cracked eggs into the cooled blueberry liquid; refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the eggs from the liquid and rinse. Peel eggs to reveal bluish-gray veining where the cracks were.
- Halve the eggs lengthwise; remove and discard yolks.
- Mash avocado, lemon juice, salt, white pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl until smooth. Scoop 1 tablespoon avocado mixture into each egg half. Garnish with chia seeds to serve.
Substitute avocado for egg yolks for a heart healthy filing.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
This technique worked perfectly! I prepped the eggs in the morning and by that night they had soaked long enough in the blueberry liquid for the veins to show. Such a unique idea, no one else at the party used this same idea.
Katie Hason says:
I double this recipe to make one dozen hard boiled eggs. They turned out so cool! I just used simple salt and pepper for the avocado. This will be on my list of things to make every Halloween!