Slow Cooker Cuban Ropa Vieja
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine (Pinot Noir works well)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
For best results, we recommend using:
- Season flank steak with salt and pepper.
- Stir tomato sauce, red wine, beef stock, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, oregano, cumin, vinegar, and bay leaves together in the crock of a slow cooker; add steak.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Shred beef with two forks and stir into the liquid. Season stew with salt and pepper to serve.
Many versions of this dish add pimento-stuffed olives and their brine at the end of cooking. You may wish to try this variation, particularly if you are a fan of olives!
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
I had never heard of Cuban ropa vieja, but decided to make this recipe for my wife because she loves Latin-Caribbean cuisine. I like the way this turned out, it had a lot of good flavor. My wife was really happy with it too!
Greg Jones says:
Delicious flank steak. The meat wasn't too tough, and had a lot of good flavor. Also goes great over rice.
Laura Griffin says:
This ropa vieja is superb! The flavor is incredible, thanks to the peppers, cumin, and wine. I can't wait to make this recipe again. Perfect for tacos or with rice and beans.