Slow Cooker Chai-Spiced Oatmeal
- cooking spray
- 3½ cups plain non-dairy milk
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon black tea leaves
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For best results, we recommend using:
- Prepare the crock of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Blend non-dairy milk and cashews in a blender until smooth; pour into the prepared slow cooker. Alternately, put the ingredients into the crock and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir oats, salt, maple syrup, tea leaves, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves, allspice, and cardamom with the cashew-milk mixture.
- Cook on Low for 6 hours.
- Stir vanilla extract through the oatmeal to serve.
Steel-cut oats are great for preparing ahead of time! After cooking, the oatmeal can be refrigerated and stored for up to 5 days or portioned into individual ramekins and frozen for 3 to 4 months. When serving the oatmeal after freezing, allow to fully thaw in the refrigerator overnight before heating in the microwave or on the stovetop.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I love all things chai, and this oatmeal is no exception. I used old fashioned oats, just because I prefer them to steel cut. Other than that, I didn't make any changes to the recipe. The seasoning combination was perfect, and the black tea was a nice, simple touch to the overall flavor of this oatmeal. Who knew a slow cooker would be good for making oatmeal! It's now the main thing I make in it.
Sam Dalton says:
Good recipe! If you love anything chai-spiced I recommend you try this! Perfect for those early mornings.