Slow Cooker Hummus
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
For best results, we recommend using:
- Put water, chickpeas, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt into a slow cooker
- Cook on Low until tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid in a small bowl and drain chickpeas.
- Pulse chickpeas and half the reserved cooking liquid together in a food processor until no whole chickpeas remain; add remaining cooking liquid, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and remaining teaspoon salt and process until smooth, 7 to 8 minutes. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil into the hummus to serve.
Hummus can be served warm, immediately after finishing. Otherwise, refrigerated until chilled. Serve this dish with flatbread, chips, or vegetables. Homemade hummus also makes a fantastic sandwich spread.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
This hummus was really good. I made it with naan bread and used it for dipping. I won't ever eat store bought hummus again. This taste like the restaurant version, so good.
Greg Jones says:
First time making hummus in the slow cooker. Delicious flavor, the measurements were perfect. I know you're supposed to chill the hummus but I actually really like it warm. Very good.
Jessica Scott says:
Never knew I could make hummus in a slow cooker! This is a classic hummus recipe, very tasty. Depending on how smooth you want it, you can add a little extra water. Solid recipe.