Slow Cooker Chicken Pho
- 8 cups water
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- kosher salt to taste
- 4 uncooked, bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 8 ounces Maifun rice noodles
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup bean sprouts, or to taste
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 8 sprigs fresh basil, or to taste
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 fresh chile pepper, sliced into rounds
- ¼ red onion, diced
For best results, we recommend using:
- Stir water, onions, chicken stock, fish sauce, ginger, sugar, fennel seeds, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, and cardamom together in the crock of your slow cooker; season with salt and add chicken thighs.
- Cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Soak rice noodles in hot water until softened and pliable, about 8 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process. Divide noodles between four soup bowls.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker to a cutting board. Pick chicken meat from bones and divide between bowls.
- Strain broth; ladle over noodles and chicken. Season pho with pepper.
- Divide bean sprouts, cilantro, basil, lime quarters, chile pepper slices, and red onion between four small plates; serve alongside individual bowls of pho.
Shredded pork can be a good substitute for the chicken for a different flavor.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
Really loved this pho recipe. Such a simple dish to make in the slow cooker. I bet it would also taste amazing with zoodles. I think I will try that next!
Jessica Scott says:
This chicken pho was really good. The meat was really tender and the broth was very flavorful. I added spicy hot sriracha on top of mine. So good!